Welcome to Parkes Christian School
We are a K-12 non-denominational school affiliated with Parkes Community Church. Since our humble beginnings in 1982, we have grown to become a thriving school community comprised of more than 220 students. We have an engaged parent body and strong links to the broader community of Parkes. Situated on six acres on the outskirts of Parkes, our expansive grounds and rural surroundings help create a peaceful atmosphere which directly impacts the learning environment provided for our students.
Philosophy and Learning
At PCS we operate on the premise that each student is created by God as unique and valuable. Each child has the right to an education where they are recognised as an individual with unique needs. This is reflected in our approach to ensure that each child can access the curriculum with clarity and purpose via appropriate adjustments. We strive to ensure each student is motivated and inspired to become a lover of learning.
We live in a technological age which is advancing at exponential levels. This has dramatic implications for us as an educational institution. The challenge today is not in acquiring and remembering information, but in sorting, organising and interpreting information that is relevant to us. PCS is equipping students with the skills and character traits needed to achieve this. We are preparing students with the capacity to engage and thrive in a rapidly changing workplace, a workplace that requires problem-solving, collaboration and communication skills along with a high level of digital literacy more than ever before.
We aim to produce graduates who are of strong character, empathetic, innovative, resilient and able to adapt to fast-paced environments. At PCS we achieve this through the explicit and direct instruction of skills and competencies needed to succeed according to curriculum requirements. Through the application of skills and competencies, each student has the opportunity to become adept at problem-solving and applying learning to a wide range of real-world scenarios. The focus is on students becoming proficient at generating knowledge, not just retaining it. Beginning at Kindergarten, each child will be equipped with the skills needed to succeed in the 21st Century workforce.
As a faith-based educational institution, our moral purpose is linked directly to the gospel message. Through a carefully constructed biblical curriculum and genuine Christian educators, we develop a biblical worldview in our students; instilling a Bible-based view of the world, God and themselves. Each student must understand that they were created by God for a purpose, that they are unique and that Jesus came and died for them. We embed Christ in the curriculum by seeking out authentic opportunities for students to see and experience how Christ is evident and relevant in all we do. I acknowledge that each child must make the decision to follow Christ for themselves. Whilst as a school, we may never see those decisions made, our responsibility as staff is ensuring each precious student in our care, understands the significance of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ for their own lives.
I invite you to take the opportunity to come and visit Parkes Christian School and spend time considering how we can effectively partner with you to achieve the best for your child.
Principal – Mr Glen Westcott
Mission & Vision
“To provide a Christian school which both teaches and models Christian faith.”
- To encourage students to learn about God and to respond to Him in love and obedience.
- To pursue academic excellence and to provide educational opportunities of the highest standard.
- To teach and model Christian ethics, and encourage students to apply Biblical truth to the whole of life.
- To foster the involvement of families in our school community.
- To develop the servant attitude of Christ in our students so they may minister to the needs of others.
- To enrol students from families who desire a Christian education for their children.
Alliances & Affliliations
Parkes Community Church & CSA
Parkes Christian School is a ministry of Parkes Community Church and is affiliated with Christian Schools Australia and the Association of Independent Schools NSW. These organisations support schools with curriculum materials, teacher professional development, conferences and other professional services.
Parkes Christian School has professional and sporting links with other Christian Schools in Orange, Dubbo, Wellington, Ningan, Gilgandra, Bourke and Wagga as well as with the Christian Schools Sports Association.
The School Board
The school is an incorporated body which is governed by a Board of Directors. The primary task of the Board is to clearly articulate the vision and goals of the school which reflect its Christian ethos. It establishes policies aimed at achieving its vision and goals. It also has the responsibility to ensure the school meets all its legal and financial obligations.
The School Board appoints the Principal and delegates the daily operations of the school to the Principal, it establishes executive policies and limitations for execution by the Principal, and ensures the school is adequately and appropriately resourced. It is also the responsibility of the School Board to ensure the accountability of the Directors and the Principal.
Mr Alan Magill (Chairperson)
Mr Les Kent (Treasurer)
Mrs Elsie Joubert (Secretary)
Mr Gordon Moss
Mrs Toni Unger
Mr Matthew Collier
A History of Parkes Christian School
Parkes Christian School was founded in 1982 by Christian parents to assist them to bring up their children in a loving and caring environment. The School provides a comprehensive education of a high standard, taught by committed Christian teachers. This not only prepares students for future study or work, but for life itself.
The school is open to all those who are seeking a caring and Christian value based education for their children.
Parkes Christian School is a ministry of the Parkes Community Church and is affiliated with Christian Schools Australia which is a support body for Christian Schools across Australia and into the Pacific.
Christian schooling grew out of a strong conviction, based on the teaching of scriptural passages like that of Ephesians Chapter 4. It was, therefore, realised that schooling should be one expression of the overall function of the local church.
The aim was, therefore, to produce a program:
1. That was based thoroughly on Christian principles of education;
2. That met (and surpassed) education standards established by the State, provided this did not conflict with Biblical principles; and
3. That was oriented toward the syllabus and examination requirements of the Australian educational systems.
From these initial convictions and aims, grew a concept of a Christian School, which has four major features:
1. That the school is an extension of the home to help parents give their children the training the Bible says they should have;
2. That it is a part of the ministry of the Church for equipping individuals for a life of service to others and training them to grow up into Jesus Christ in every area of their lives;
3. That it aims to protect children against evil yet prepare them to live an authentic Christian life in the world;
4. That it is committed to seeing growth in every individual – according to their gifts and ability; toward Christian maturity; and as a co-operative and effective member of church and community.
Our Statement of Faith
Parkes Christian School was established and exists primarily to provide Christian Education for Christian families. The school’s primary objective is to provide places for children of Christian families. As such all families MUST sign the school’s Statement of Faith as a part of the enrolment process. The Board interviewing panel will discuss any issues associated with this at the enrolment interview.
1. We believe in the divine inspiration the infallibility and supreme authority of the Old and New Testaments in their entirety and that the Holy Spirit so moved the writers that what they wrote are authoritative statements of truth.
2. We believe there is one God in whom there are three equal Divine Persons revealed as the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit and who, of His own sovereign will created the heavens, the earth and all that is contained within the Universe.
3. We believe the Lord Jesus Christ is the eternally existing only begotten Son of the Father, conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. As God He became flesh and dwelt among us; as man He was God.
4. We believe all men are in a fallen, sinful and lost condition through the rebellion of Adam and Eve who were created without sin and in this state of depravity are helpless to save themselves and are under the condemnation of God to eternal punishment in hell.
5. We believe that salvation from the penalty and consequences of sin is found only through the substitutionary atoning death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ.
6. We believe it is the Holy Spirit alone who convicts men of sin, leads them to repentance, creates faith within them and regenerates and fills those who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ as Lord. It is the indwelling Spirit who bestows the Gifts of the Spirit and manifests the Fruit of the Spirit in the believer.
7. We believe Christ died for our sins was buried and the third day rose from the dead that He appeared to men who touched Him and knew His bodily presence and that He ascended to His Father.
8. We believe the Lord Jesus Christ will return in person with His saints and that the full consummation of the Kingdom of God awaits His return.
9. We believe those who have been regenerated by the Holy Spirit will receive a resurrection body at the return of Jesus Christ and be forever with the Lord while those who have not believed will be resurrected to stand at the Judgement Seat of God to receive His judgement and eternal condemnation to Hell.
10. We believe in the actual existence of Satan who is the father of all evil and opposed to God, although ultimately subject to the purposes of God and destined to be confined forever in hell.
11. We believe the Church is the Body of Christ composed of all believers in the Lord Jesus Christ which finds its visible manifestation in the local community of believers and ministers through the co-operative exercise of God-given gifts by the entire membership. Each local community of believers is competent under Christ as Head of the Church to order its life without interference from any civil authority.
12. We believe there are two ordinances instituted by the Lord Jesus Christ, Baptism and the Lord’s Supper