Love is in the ‘Air-Five’

When I was growing up, I remember my friends and I having different ways to connect with each other and show that we were ‘in the group.’ In my primary school years, it was all about the secret handshake: a confusing combination of movements (that I’m pretty sure was different every day). This dance with our hands told each other that we were mates, we would help each other and that we were all accepted.

Somehow, the secret handshake wasn’t considered cool during my high school years. Many things came and went over the years, such as the jumping high five, the fist bump as well as the early 2000s favourite: “hand-hug-shoulder-hug.” However, the most memorable to me was always the “air-five.” This is where two people would raise their hands to each other as if giving a high five… from at least 20 metres away.

I would like to say that my friends and I were clever and came up with the “air-five” on our own but the reality of it was that we saw it on a TV show and thought it looked cool. Which it was. There was something unique and special about connecting with people from larger and larger distances to send a high five that said, “You’re my mate. You’re awesome. Keep being you.”

The “air-five” was something we were able to use just about everywhere. We air-fived quietly in the classroom, when passing each other when driving and even when meeting together on Facetime later on. The irony is also not lost on me that it is also quite a social distance friendly form of communication.

Over the last couple of weeks, we have studied the memory verse from 1 Corinthians 13:4 – Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. One of the most important jobs that we have been given in life is to show love to others and our actions are a great opportunity to demonstrate this every day to our family, friends, coworkers and others we see in our day to day world.

The “air-five” was our way of showing love to each other. It communicated so much: “You’re my mate. You’re awesome. You’re accepted. Keep being you. You’re loved.” It amazes me to this day how one little push of the arm could convey so much and bring so much joy to a group of people.

For all of you reading, my prayer is that we all find ways to show God’s love to one another this week. With so much going on, particularly widespread flooding in New South Wales and Queensland, we can find ways to support these people going through a particularly tough time. However, it also starts at home. In our day to day lives. From the smallest interactions, we could help so much.

By the way, you’re all awesome. Keep being you.

Matt

Share your love

Get In Touch

For all enquiries please call the school office on 02 6862 4164 or send us a message.