The Crispy Bits!

Many people are surprised to know that not only do I love cooking but I do most of it in our house. Don’t get me wrong, Haylz is a great cook and does her fair share, but I’m happy to cook whenever time allows.

I’m not a gourmet chef by any means, but I like trying new things, however my favourite thing is just making comfort food that people enjoy.

Haylz and the kids have plenty of favourite meals, but for me, it’s hard to go past a perfectly cooked roast (lamb is my favourite) with roast potatoes.
I have spent years trying to make the perfect roast potatoes and I have a method that I’m pretty happy with.

I can’t reveal my secrets, but the end product is a tray full of golden, fluffy potatoes that are soft in the middle and deliciously crispy on the outside.
The way I make them also results in some “crispy bits” that are left on the tray – and these are the absolute best.

They are so crispy, salty, buttery and tasty that everyone in the house always asks for more crispy bits! Sometimes I deliberately make more so that there are more to go around.

A couple of Christmas dinners ago, I was pulling the tray of roast potatoes from the oven and was delighted to see they were perfectly cooked, complete with plenty of delicious looking crispy bits.

I had a sudden moment when I realised that I could take most of them for myself. No one else was around, they would never know.
After all, I was the one who put in all the work to make them, didn’t I deserve more than the others?

Just as suddenly God intervened and reminded me that living a Christian life is all about serving others, not serving yourself.
I wasn’t seriously going to take all the crispy bits for myself, but sometimes it’s definitely good to get that reminder that true joy comes from looking after other people.

Jesus was the ultimate example of someone who could have – and arguably should have – had anything he wanted. He had the power to make anything happen, to live a life of luxury and rule over the world.
Yet he lived a life of serving others before himself and made the ultimate sacrifice for all of us.

Let’s not hold on to things, let’s not worry about what’s best for us – let’s serve others and take delight in the enjoyment they get from what we have done for them… even if that means giving up the crispy bits!

Greg

Share your love

Get In Touch

For all enquiries please call the school office on 02 6862 4164 or send us a message.