Escape to the Mountains

The weather may have turned cold and wet but I’d like to offer you a warm welcome to Term 2 at PCS. After a two week holiday I trust all of you have enjoyed spending some extra time together as families; and in the midst of Easter and Elvis, I do hope that you managed some time to rest. 

I was so fortunate to spend some time away in the Snowy Mountains in the holidays doing some fly fishing on the Eucumbene river. What had originally been planned as a weekend away with a few fisho mates, quickly turned into an impromptu solo trip thanks to some unforeseen circumstances. Normally I wouldn’t mind fishing solo, however this trip was meant to be me tagging along with some experienced fly fishers learning the basics of this new style of fishing. As it turned out, I was the guy with all the gear and no idea wandering remote areas of the snowies having a red hot go at catching the elusive brown and rainbow trout with nothing but some waders for comfort, and a fly rod for company!

It truly is beautiful scenery in the high country. Whether any fish were caught or not, I can honestly say that just being out there with fresh mountain air, camping in a swag by a crystal clear river, no phone reception or another person for miles around were all the ingredients needed for an amazing trip. The goal was to catch fish, but I soon realised that the more important byproduct by far was a time of refreshment. This is something that all of us need from time to time, no matter what. 

Our memory verse this fortnight is Psalm 23:1,2 – The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need. He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. I’m sure many of you are familiar with these famous verses and have heard them many times. As I read through them recently I was struck by two thoughts. Firstly, we can’t be led by God if we aren’t actively following him and secondly, times of rest and refreshment are just as important as times when we need to work hard. 

God calls us to be people who dig deep and work hard, but not to the extent of exhaustion and burnout. When we factor in things like work, family, church, sport and a whole host of other commitments, finding time to rest and restore can be near impossible. I don’t claim to have the answers, but I do know that rest and refreshment is a biblical principle that was even modeled by Jesus himself. This was not by accident. It is part of the recipe for a life of purpose and longevity. All of us should be purposeful in finding time during our days, weeks, months and years to spend time doing things we know will bring us rest and refreshment. It’s not just a luxury, it’s a necessity. 

As you set your eyes on another term ahead, be sure to take care of yourself. You are valuable and worth the investment, no matter how small. If all else fails, pick up the phone and give me a call. I’d be happy to tell you endless tales of brown trout and mountain streams that will be sure to have you feeling sleepy if nothing else! 

It may have taken a few days, but as it turned out, the more I fished the better I got; although I think that may be a story for another day. Look after yourself PCS and have a great week. 

Glen

Share your love

Get In Touch

For all enquiries please call the school office on 02 6862 4164 or send us a message.