Get Some GRIT!

Grit is not exactly the most inspiring of words. The first thing it makes me think of is annoying dirt and grime. The kind that gets in your eye and annoys you all day because it feels like it’s scratching your eyeball.
But grit has another meaning.

Grit is also a pretty popular colloquialism for determination, never giving up, resilience.

On the last day of Term 1, I was very impressed with our High School captains Luke and Ashlee when they delivered a message to their peers about the importance of grit.

I had casually approached the idea of them saying a few words to the other high school students on the last day in order to send them out on holidays on a positive note. I have often done this over the years, and I thought it would be nice for our captains to do it. After all, messages are always better when they come from your peers right?

I figured they would crack a joke or two and then say a few encouraging words about enjoying their holidays and staying safe.

Instead, they delivered a very well thought out, very well written speech about the importance of having grit.

Here’s a few highlights from their address:
“Because I am so good at failing, I have had to learn to be good at picking myself back up again. That’s called grit.”
“Grit is picking yourself up again, even when you have failed multiple times in a row. It’s not listening to what you want to do, but what you know you need to do. Grit is not letting your failure define you.”
“Having grit looks like not giving up. If you’re like most people you will hear a voice inside that says that you’re not good enough and that you can’t make it through. We hear it in your voices everytime we ask about how you have been going, and you say; “Well I’m not really that smart, you know.” Having grit looks like telling that voice no, and working hard anyway.”
“Have a serious think about this over the holidays, talk to one of us if you want to make a choice to have grit, then hit next term with all your strength. We can’t make that decision for you, neither can your parents or your teachers. The choice to have grit can only come from you.”

I think it’s great stuff! Luke and Ashlee admitted to their peers that they have their own struggles, but they know they have to pick themselves up, dust themselves off, and get ready to go again.

They challenged them to break habits that lead to getting distracted in class, or not managing time well. They challenged them to show grit in their daily lives.

It reminded me of one of the first Bible verses that ever resonated with me – Romans 5:3 “we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.”

We are all going to have our struggles, we will all have moments of darkness and pain and disappointment, but meeting these challenges head on and showing resilience is what brings us hope.

I truly hope that everyone at PCS can heed the words of Ashlee and Luke and “grow their grit”.

Greg

Share your love

Get In Touch

For all enquiries please call the school office on 02 6862 4164 or send us a message.